All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Buck Building (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Ferrari Buck: Original Builders: Conversation (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=16458)

longyard 03-12-2017 06:37 AM

Ferrari Buck: Original Builders: Conversation

7 Attachment(s)
Carrozzeria AutoSport, located in Modena, built some original Ferrari prototypes. I met one of the owners at the classic car show in Stuttgart two weeks ago and here is a bullet-point list of what he told me. Photos show a display they had. It's a Ferrari ???

1. Built many prototypes.
2. Have many original bucks.
3. Have a large supply of old aluminum sheet of the type used on '50s/60s car and only use that when re-making panels.
4. Claims newer alloys don't weld well to original panels (Note: 'claims')
5. Only use original processes, mostly maglio (helve hammer) See photos for maglio markings.
6. Gas welds.
7. Use Eckold Handformer to shrink edges
8. www.autosport.it

Attachment 40725

Attachment 40726

Attachment 40727

Attachment 40728

Attachment 40729

Attachment 40730

Attachment 40731

Trevor B 03-12-2017 04:31 PM

Do not think it is a Ferrari with a twin nostril opening at the front,
more likely just a mock up.
I have seen a few of the original Ferrari bucks (all wire frame) at the Ferrari factory.

trailhead 03-12-2017 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor B (Post 134692)
Do not think it is a Ferrari with a twin nostril opening at the front

196SP?

Trevor B 03-13-2017 02:39 AM

well done, apart from the F1 car of the 60's twin nostril front was not a Ferrari "thing"

vroom 05-29-2017 10:25 PM

You've gotta love how those unpainted parts reveal their secrets.

crystallographic 05-29-2017 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
3. Have a large supply of old aluminum sheet of the type used on '50s/60s car and only use that when re-making panels.
4. Claims newer alloys don't weld well to original panels (Note: 'claims')

Salesmanship is always at hand when a company meets the public. These comments are typical in the industry, and I've heard other comments at Pebble and Monterey that also file under that "not adding up" heading. :cool:

Attachment 41977
Those of us rather familiar with the Enzo comp car metalwork can easily testify to the great similarity between factory original alloy and current replacement alloy available on the market today. :):)

Although, there have been those unfortunate cases where restoration craftsmen have not known enough to correctly identify either what they were restoring - or, to correctly identify what they obtained as replacement materials - and assumed (the word "assume" here equals three words combined: "ass," "you" and "me") incorrectly that the alloy they had was correct, and their jobs eventually started coming apart. :eek:

But then, this is not at all limited to Italian cars, nor is it limited to auto restoration. :o :( :mad:

Caveat Emptor.