All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Basic questions and answers (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Draw quality crs 18ga. (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=17818)

rustreapers 03-26-2018 10:51 AM

Draw quality crs 18ga.

I am looking to make a trunk floor pan having deeper beads and shapes that don't seam to be able to be hammered in to regular 18ga crs with out ripping. I have raised the area with a rolling wheel to pre stretch and this doesn't seem to do it. I have yet to anneal the area. I am using the rivet gun to hammer the shapes it to a wood die. DQ should give me a deeper bead but is it suitable as a (semi) structural material. The trunk pan is about 30" by 40".

Regards
John Phillips

MP&C 03-26-2018 11:15 AM

John, is the thickness of your pan actually 18 or is it 19? Dan Pate usually gets some AKDQ 19 ga for his meet, IIRC. You my be able to find someone going that can bring some back???

crystallographic 03-26-2018 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustreapers (Post 144854)
I am looking to make a trunk floor pan having deeper beads and shapes that don't seam to be able to be hammered in to regular 18ga crs with out ripping. I have raised the area with a rolling wheel to pre stretch and this doesn't seem to do it. I have yet to anneal the area. I am using the rivet gun to hammer the shapes it to a wood die. DQ should give me a deeper bead but is it suitable as a (semi) structural material. The trunk pan is about 30" by 40".

Regards
John Phillips

I think it will be suitable for this job, since you have gone a bit thicker.

rustreapers 03-27-2018 08:00 AM

AkDQ vs Standard CRS

Robert,
Thanks for the input. I have found 19 ga 1008 CRS from Central Steel & Wire Co locally and AKDQ from Alro Steel.

Kent,
Have you ever had a job where you have used AKDQ?

crystallographic 03-27-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustreapers (Post 144886)
Robert,
Thanks for the input. I have found 19 ga 1008 CRS from Central Steel & Wire Co locally and AKDQ from Alro Steel.

Kent,

I have used AKDQ for the wrong job - once.
And for the right jobs a lot.

Chris_Hamilton 03-27-2018 11:36 PM

John you can also get draw quality sheet from Central Steel & Wire Co.:) They have it in various gauges from 20 gauge all the way down to 10 gauge. It is available in 18 gauge through them.
For anyone in Carolina/Virginia looking for AKDQ you can get it through Central Steel & Wire Co. at their Greensboro NC location. It is a full stocking location so anything they carry is available there. Only place I've found in my area that carries draw quality sheet.

MP&C 03-28-2018 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustreapers (Post 144886)
Robert,

Kent,

Looking at Central Steel's website, they should also carry 19 ga in drawing quality..

cliffrod 03-28-2018 06:30 AM

Good to know- thanks, Chris. Stock Car Metals in Mooresville, NC told me they keep 22g and 24g dqak in stock, but would have to order other dimensions. So did Metalsupermarket here in town, who doesn't keep any drawing quality in stock iirc.

Skid charges for transport are a killer. For example, a 4x10 sheet of drawing quality 24g is about $50.00. The rep at Stock Car Metals said they recently ordered a single 4x10 sheet of drawing quality 20g for a customer (special order) and that one sheet cost around $250.00. He said it was mostly to cover basic skid charge for shipping, so ordering a larger quantity would make more sense.

rustreapers 03-28-2018 08:14 AM

Thanks Robert.

I did over look Central Steel's DQAK. Shipping charges almost doubled the cost. Luckily Cincinnati is 5 hours round trip.

22george 03-30-2018 01:50 PM

You might check out Benjamin Steel in Springfield, Ohio. Another steel supplier I have used.