All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Automotive Projects (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Another drag car ---- 64 Fairlane (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=13690)

qkiss 05-25-2015 08:47 PM

Another drag car ---- 64 Fairlane

1964 Ford Fairlane post car. This is the model and body style the Ford factory first used to enter the factory drag racing wars. They were known as Thunderbolts.
Humble beginnings
After it has been cut up and stripped there is not much left. The name of the game is to make it as light as practically possible.
Before the cage and chassis was started it was decided to chop the top.
3 inches taken from the front and 2 inches from the back. As the top was dropped down it was also slid back. This laid the windshield back for better aerodynamics and if that is not enough it looks cool lol .
The top was TIG welded back on with copper chill plates front and back and welded 1 inch at a time and cooled with compressed air between welds. When finished using this process there was no buckling or warping.
Back side chill plate.

waynos 05-25-2015 11:07 PM

keep those pics coming.looks great so far

qkiss 05-26-2015 11:13 AM

I was going to post just the sheet metal aspect of the build. Just wondering if it is appropriate or if you guys would like to see the cage and chassis photos also??? Let me know one way or the other. Thanks Steve

fred26t 05-26-2015 10:56 PM

Another '64

I knew a guy who bought the small block version )289 I think). He took it home and parked it. Never drove or raced. Some people are dumb. Oh, he got drunk one night and had a flat on a '55 Nomad, but kept going. Yep tire caught on fire and burned the car to the ground. He was dumb. Fred26t

qkiss 05-26-2015 11:31 PM

This is the 'B' post after the top was chopped and moved back leaving a 2 inch gap in the 1/4 window trim. There was also a 3 inch long trim section rusted out along the "C" post. A new 12 inch long section of trim was made up to take care of both "B" post gaps and the rusted area.
2 sets of dies were made up for the pull max to do the top and bottom in 2 pieces and TIG welded together. The parts were made from 22 gauge cold roll sheet. The initial shape was roughed out in a brake and finalized in the pull max with custom dies.
A better shot of the die shape.
Finished replacement part after TIG welding down the length on both sides and ground smooth.
A 2 inch piece cut for the "B" post gap.
Gap filler TIG welded in.
And cleaned up.

Gojeep 05-27-2015 03:56 AM

Nicely done Steve.

qkiss 05-27-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred26t (Post 113467)
I knew a guy who bought the small block version )289 I think). He took it home and parked it. Never drove or raced. Some people are dumb. Oh, he got drunk one night and had a flat on a '55 Nomad, but kept going. Yep tire caught on fire and burned the car to the ground. He was dumb. Fred26t

Sounds like your guy has a real talent for ---- ??? :confused:
My car started life as a 289 car. Its new life is going to start with a 557. A bored and stroked 460.

qkiss 05-27-2015 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojeep (Post 113470)
Nicely done Steve.

Thanks Gojeep. It was a bit of a head scratcher. Not very experienced with the pullmax and I did't know I couldn't do it so I gave it a shot. Really surprised myself :) real happy with the results.

route56wingnut 05-27-2015 02:59 PM

Do you have the rest of the duplicator for your P-21 ?

SATAUS 05-27-2015 06:27 PM

Really nice job Steve, looking forward to seeing more.