All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Shop Safety (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   gas welding torch cleaning (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=13752)

red baron 06-06-2015 07:23 PM

gas welding torch cleaning

So I have been having issues with my gas torch. When trying to weld I set the flame and it works great for about 60 seconds or so, then the oxygen levels start to drop. I started taking things apart to find the cause, and found a white build up inside the torch body on the oxygen side. What should I use to clean inside the torch body itself? Brake cleaner, rubbing alcohol, tears from a sweat shop worker?

crystallographic 06-06-2015 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red baron (Post 113840)
So I have been having issues with my gas torch. When trying to weld I set the flame and it works great for about 60 seconds or so, then the oxygen levels start to drop. I started taking things apart to find the cause, and found a white build up inside the torch body on the oxygen side. What should I use to clean inside the torch body itself? Brake cleaner, rubbing alcohol, tears from a sweat shop worker?

Assuming the torch is brass - I'd say a Qtip and solvent to start. Compressed air to follow - disconnect both ends first. Followed by fine copper picture wire run though the passageway, and blown out again.

red baron 06-07-2015 12:23 AM

Sorry, yes it's a smith aw1a torch

crystallographic 06-07-2015 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red baron (Post 113855)
Sorry, yes it's a smith aw1a torch

Excellent torch, but all torches are susceptible to accumulations from the fuel gases over time - and over the volume that they flow.

red baron 06-07-2015 01:37 AM

Thanks Kent, really appreciate your responses, going to clean it out first thing in the AM and test it out.

skintkarter 06-07-2015 02:07 PM

Hi Mike. When we were spending most of our ill-gotten insurance broking income getting our boys towards the pointy end of local karting, chasing the last 1/10th of a horsepower was crucial. Carb cleanliness was a big part of this - two stoke fuel residue gets quite 'gummy'. To help with the cleaning, I bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaning bath from the local electronics store - around $200 I think. We used Simple Green detergent at around 5-10% as a surfactant. A gentle 30 minute bubble in the bath brought everything up like new and didn't damage any seals.

I wonder if something like this could be used on your torch?

Iv'e since used the cleaner on all sorts of things to great effect.

I'll chuck some of my OA tips into the bath later today and post a before and after pic.

red baron 06-07-2015 10:44 PM

I have one of those ultrasonic cleaners from harbor freight.... didn't even think of it lol. I ended up cleaning it per Kent's instructions, I also took the gas saver off and installed new hoses. Been wanting to do that part for a while. Fired it up and it seems to be good. Thanks for the help guys!