All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Basic questions and answers (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Sweep gauges (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=16636)

show car builder 04-18-2017 06:55 PM

Sweep gauges

How hard would it be to make a set sweep gauges with a ring roller?

cliffrod 04-18-2017 07:39 PM

Not sure that a ring roller (for tubing, correct?) would be the best choice. Your patterns should be flat metal so you can best see that the accurate register of the pattern against the model/job.

Many here will probably say they prefer to buy a set produced by someone else- plasma/CNC/whatever. To date, the only patterns- radius and otherwise- I own and use here that were not made by me are a few antique ones from old studios. Making radius gauges by laying out the radius and cutting as needed may be too tedious for some but it is excellent exercise to make measurably accurate parts on purpose.

Make them out of sturdy sheet of your choice- steel, alloy, plastic, etc. The plastic from milk jugs or antifreeze jugs is the standing favorite for a quick, small one-off pattern. If used more than a little, these plastic patterns get reproduced into more durable material.

Such patterns existed looong before anyone knew anything about CNC or plasma cutting or such things..

Kerry Pinkerton 04-18-2017 07:39 PM

Getting a bend would be easy enough. Getting a precise bend might be a pretty difficult task.

Mike Rouse 04-18-2017 07:54 PM

I make my own sweeps using my router set up. The trick is there is no guarantee that a "set" of sweeps is what was used to design any given panel.
Best thing to do is to copy the radius and produce a sweep to match

Mike

Ken Hosford 04-18-2017 09:03 PM

I chose a different route . What I do fall into radius gauges , so I bought a circle and ring shear . I then modified it to cut up to a 72" radius . And with more modifications it can be made to cut much greater . I probably paid twice what a set of sweeps would run but I have the machine to make other stuff with ,it will cut 10 ga ss 3/16" mild steel . This allows me to make any radius needed . so far I made a set of 3" through 72" by 1/4" increments .Just recently had the need for one in between at 13 7/8" , this way there is no waiting .

neilb 04-19-2017 03:09 AM

peter tomassini supplies a good set of sweeps, i used his set a couple of weeks ago while i was there, pretty damn good!

Steve_Greenway 04-19-2017 09:35 AM

Dave, I create my own sweeps using the method developed by Mike Rouse (post #3 above) and I really think it is a great way to make them. It is easy, inexpensive and accurate. I use Masonite, but you could substitute many other materials if you prefer.

Joe Hartson 04-19-2017 09:59 AM

Mike Rouse has a system that works and is the way to go when it comes to sweeps. It is inexpensive to build and will duplicate any curve concave or convex.

crystallographic 04-19-2017 11:48 AM

I follow the Mike Rouse method.
I started out that way when I was a pup, and later learned about styling sweeps and styling bridges from an Art Center / GM Styling pro.

For the work "we" do, it is simple, accurate, cheap and effective - the four defining characteristics I use to measure any possible technology/methodology.

(ya gotta have a bottom line...:))

:rolleyes:

Richard Lennard 04-19-2017 11:53 AM

Is there a link re Router and curves anywhere?