All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Events (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Wheeling machines at the Oblong meet (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=17240)

RockHillWill 10-18-2017 06:32 PM

Wheeling machines at the Oblong meet

7 Attachment(s)
In addition to those that I photographed, there were two combo machines in the lower building.

Kevin Anton brought his from near St, Louis, Mo.
Attachment 43649

This was brought by Randy Ferguson to work on Antonio's willy's.
Attachment 43650

This one looked to be set up with wooden and nylon wheels used to make body trim pieces.
Attachment 43651

This one was brought by Uncle Johnny and Jacob, also from near St. Loius, Mo.
Attachment 43652

Robert Anton was using his set up for use with the go-cart tire
Attachment 43653

This one is set up to roll rings with a common radius.
Attachment 43654

Good advice for any wheeling machine
Attachment 43655

Kerry Pinkerton 10-18-2017 07:26 PM

That is 'Robowheel' that Wray Schelin designed and I built as a gift to Randy Ferguson back in 2003-4, irrc.

http://www.allmetalshaping.com/attac...1&d=1508369422

I had called Wray to ask if he would donate one of his big bearings for an upper wheel. I had in mind to build Randy, who was just starting out at the time, a simple floor mount ewheel using some 6x2x1/4 steel drops I had found. Wray said he didn't have any bearings but he'd design it if I'd build it.

If you've ever heard the phrase 'creeping elegance', Robowheel is IT. Wray would call me nearly daily with this idea/change or another. I learned a lot but it took a lot longer than I anticipated.

Joe Andrews, still with his first company, CNC Solutions, donated the upper wheel.

RockHillWill 10-19-2017 05:48 AM

There clearly is a lot of work on this wheeling machine. I did not look at it at the time, but is that lower adjuster similar to the uppers that you shared with us? The tubing with adjustable inserts?

Kerry Pinkerton 10-19-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockHillWill (Post 140469)
... is that lower adjuster similar to the uppers that you shared with us? The tubing with adjustable inserts?

Yes. Wray was going to build a hydraulic adjuster so Randy did not paint the one I made. That didn't happen for some reason and it's never been painted.

Once Randy got his BIG wheel built, Robowheel was set up with the rubber tire and, to my knowledge, isn't used much anymore. It the first fabricated ewheel I ever built. I did a cast iron one based on an Oliver bandsaw frame which was my first machine.

Unless it's been removed or was lost in the screwup, there should be a build thread on it over on MM. I put together a document showing the email back and forth between Wray and I and photos taken during the build.

Peter Tommasini 10-19-2017 07:54 AM

Looks like a lot of fun there at Oblong.... I wish I could have made it there.......
never mind I will be there next Year:D:D

PS???? Is the paint on the ''handbuilt'' machine wearing off to the undercoat on the edges ??....... Or is it painted red on the edges?? :confused::confused::confused:
Peter

Kerry Pinkerton 10-19-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockHillWill (Post 140469)
... is that lower adjuster similar to the uppers that you shared with us? The tubing with adjustable inserts?

Yes. Wray was going to build a hydraulic adjuster so Randy did not paint the one I made. That didn't happen for some reason and it's never been painted. IRRC, the gibs are 1/2" cutting board without steel backing.

I believe I made the anvils on my little bitty Sears lathe using Tom Lipton's process. Each anvil took a whole day.

Once Randy got his BIG wheel built, Robowheel was set up with the rubber tire and, to my knowledge, isn't used much anymore. It the first fabricated ewheel I ever built. I did a cast iron one based on an Oliver bandsaw frame which was my first machine.

RockHillWill 10-19-2017 09:26 AM

Peter: This machine got used a lot, but that is not wear on the paint. Kevin Anton was very proud of his new machine and he just had to add some trim colors to match the colors of their body shop. He will be happy to hear that you noticed that.

Spanky32 10-19-2017 09:02 PM

Peter the paint also is coming off the letters and the 24 k gold is giving away your secrets. Glad you will make it next year.

Peter Tommasini 10-20-2017 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spanky32 (Post 140502)
Peter the paint also is coming off the letters and the 24 k gold is giving away your secrets. Glad you will make it next year.

Yea It will be good to catch up with you guys next Year:D
24 K gold :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
Peter