All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Shop Safety (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Got a bit distracted on safety and got caught…… BIG OUCH (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=15039)

John Buchtenkirch 03-14-2016 12:08 AM

Got a bit distracted on safety and got caught…… BIG OUCH

4 Attachment(s)
I have been finishing up a few details on my big shear so Little Franky, my part time helper has been working on the pneumatic notcher I picked up last Fall at the Thompson, CT. swap meet. He called me to show me some bolts that were too short and I leaned against the notcher. He turned on the air pressure, the notcher cycled and the top lever crushed my left hand, I saw all the stars in the universe and screamed at him to hit the foot pedal. My hand was clamped for maybe 4 seconds but it seemed like 4 long minutes to me. My hand never should have been there, I fully accept the “dumb ass award” on this deal :dunce: :dunce: :dunce:. While I fully gave the cutting end of this machine all the respect it deserved I overlooked a second less dangerous area and paid a price. Little Franky needlessly fells very guilty.

Next morning Little Franky, another friend and myself had breakfast together, they talked me into going to the hospital. Being the standup guy he is Little Franky spent ¾ of the day driving me out to the veterans hospital and waited around while I got x-rayed and the doctors did their thing. I feel very lucky, no broken bones or nerve damage, just a black & blue hand the size of a small boxing glove. It looks a ton worse than it feels. This morning I was able to tie my shoe laces so I’m starting to be able to use my left hand fingers again, I should be fine in a week or two, only a bruised ego but maybe just a bit smarter. I will fabricate and install a guard around that lever arm, there’s no reason that ever needs to happen again :eek:. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Attachment 36804

Attachment 36805

Attachment 36806

Attachment 36807

Z5Roadster 03-14-2016 01:35 AM

Sorry for you pain John, one of life's hazards when more than one person is attending the same piece of equipment, help may increase output but at times things happen quicker than expected. Hopefully a speedy recovery with no lasting injury, take care.

Gojeep 03-14-2016 05:05 AM

Not good at all John but glad it is not as bad as it could have been.

Marty Comstock 03-14-2016 06:29 AM

Whew, glad its not as bad as it could have been!

I have had a few close calls myself like this, and I know how easy it is to slip :-(

Kerry Pinkerton 03-14-2016 06:50 AM

Cringe....just cringe. You dodged a bullet there John.

Phil Minton 03-14-2016 07:22 AM

All the best for a speedy recovery John, easily done in a moment's inattention and we're all caught out once in a while. Glad to see you've got away with it - well almost :)

James. V. D. W 03-14-2016 07:49 AM

I have had many injuries over the years, but nothing like that! That's gotta hurt like a mother@#^%&:eek:! Hope it heals fast!

Jaroslav 03-14-2016 07:57 AM

Slowly, slowly and carefully. Do not repeat. There is a need to made a cover. Good health. Happy end. Phew .......

cliffrod 03-14-2016 11:11 AM

Very thankful to see all is still attached and nothing is broken. Glad you got it checked by a real doctor- that seems to be the hardest step in these things as we get older.

Hope the recovery proceeds well. Take care.

Jere 03-14-2016 11:21 AM

Sorry for your injury John. I hope you and Little Franky have had a sit down with a cup of coffee and discussed this matter. :eek: :cool:

Get well soon.

Jere