All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   T-6 racing at Reno (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=18344)

BTromblay 09-23-2018 04:58 PM

T-6 racing at Reno

9 Attachment(s)
I thought some of the guys might find this interesting, if the admins, don't like it, please delete.

2018 marks the forth year that I have been involved with "T-6 class" air racing at National Air Races, held every year in Reno Nevada.

Attachment 48849
Attachment 48853

The airplane is owned by my friend Eric Woelbing, from Kenosha Wisconsin. He purchased the airplane three years ago as it had a old racing history. "Miss TNT" is a North American T-6 that was originally built as a advanced military trainer for the Army Air Corp and Navy during World War II.

The T-6 class is the "stock car" of air racing with the same kinds of mods and secrets as the car world. We are always testing new ideas on how to reduce drag and increase horse power.

Summer testing of rear window drag. We mounted a Go Pro camera on the wing tip, to look at the rear window. The red yarn shows how the air moves in flight. Just like NASA, but without the budget.

Attachment 48850

As the flight line crew chief, designer and sheet metal guy, it is a lot of fun to come up with an idea and to see if you can make it go faster. We increased speed by 7mph over last year, using only Magic. I would show more of the sheet metal work, but that is part of the Magic. The original engineers have a great design, the trick is finding the little stuff that makes you go faster.
Attachment 48851
Attachment 48852

Flight line crew.
Attachment 48854

Pit crew
Attachment 48855
Rest of the team.
Attachment 48856

This year was our best finish with 1st place in the Silver race. Attachment 48857
We have a great team and we are great friends. I'm lucky to know these guys and to be a part of this.

227.590 Mph over a 4.8 mile course and yes, it is faster than stock.

RockHillWill 09-23-2018 06:02 PM

I like it! WAY, WAY COOL! Thanks for sharing.

Onemorehammer 09-23-2018 06:54 PM

Looks like a very happy team, Thanks for the pictures. It's nice to see someone enjoying life, Dan

cliffrod 09-23-2018 08:29 PM

Very, very cool and congratulations, Bill. Thank you very much for posting.

luscten 09-23-2018 09:35 PM

Great to see some Reno stuff. I was with Hunteress and Voodoo years ago. Used to work with Willy and have know Tony for years. The T-6 class is all stock right? Lol.

RockHillWill 09-24-2018 06:18 AM

Jim Hery and I may have been exposed to some of that 'magic' that you speak of, and if known, it would qualify for posting on this site. Congratulations, nice work!

crystallographic 09-25-2018 03:48 PM

Way to go Bill. Good friends having fun on projects.
That course has been shortened a LOT, over the decades - much more of a spectator sport now. Glad to see no snow fell this year.

I see the big fat prop spinner fell off, somewhere. :)
Congratulations on the Silver success!